Monday, January 11, 2010

A Rush of Childhood... Where the Wild Things Are


Like so many other Prippys, I was waiting with baited breathe for Spike Jonze's "Where the Wild Things Are" this fall.

I bought my tickets for opening night, and my boyfriend spent our traditional date night watching me chomp at the bit for the movie to start. And while it wasn't what I expected... it made a bigger impact on me than I could've imagined.


When I opened my Sunday Times (a favorite ritual of mine!), I was blown away by A.O. Scott's article in the special Oscar section describing the opening scene of the film and why it was so powerful. He truly took the words out of my mouth as to why I loved this movie and how it touched me so deeply.

It made me remember things from my childhood that hadn't been stirred in decades... and more importantly, it reminded me of the fragility and vulnerability of being 10 years old and trying to figure out my place in the world.

If you haven't seen the movie, definitely check it out when it's released on DVD. Also, the soundtrack by the brilliant Karen O is still on my playlist and simply beautiful.

What movies touched you in 2009? Would love to know!