Wednesday, December 2, 2009

There's a Library... In the Laundry Room


For the first time in five years, I have the luxury of a washer/dryer in my apartment. No more hauling bags down the street to my teeny, tiny laundromat! No more fighting spider-cricket hybrid critters in the basement! No more I say!

But is it weird that I kind of miss the ritual?

When I lived in the West Village, I would put my laundry in, then walk to the White Horse Tavern and have a Guinness with Doc (the bartender) , then switch it out and have another brew before going home. I loved it! It became my laundry tradition and Doc would even play timekeeper for my load switches!

Yesterday, there was a fabulous article in the NYT looking into basement laundry room libraries. The story really highlights the sense of community that goes along with shared laundry facilities and city living. LOVE it!

No comments: