Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Keeping It Real... And Mostly Classy



I just wanted to take a moment to fill you all in on some changes I'm making here at The Prippy Handbook... and yes... the little angel above is me keeping it classy as a guest at my first wedding.

When I started this blog, I had just moved from NYC to DC for a "guy" who I had just begun dating.

It was a crazy move... it involved turning down an amazing gig in San Francisco after my finance job went the way of the Financial Crisis wind... it involved breaking my stupid "rule" of living with someone before I was engaged... it involved returning to a city I had just left... and I felt a hole in my creative heart leaving the "Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made."

While I've always tried to keep it real here at The P.H., I've never gotten down and dirty with sharing my thoughts and experiences beyond a pretty surface level. I was afraid to put it out there, for lack of a better explanation.

Somehow, I was lucky enough to still get a ton out of blogging. It was a way to distract myself from the huge chance I took in moving to DC for a "guy"... but even then, I knew that guy would become my husband, making the crazy risk worth it.



A lot has changed since I started blogging... and I feel like I need to take The Prippy Handbook in a more honest direction.

After planning my wedding, I realized there is a lack of full disclosure in the blogosphere about weddings... and life in general.

You often read bloggers explaining that "they write the best version of their life" and that their life isn't "cupcakes, Prada, and picnics." But for me, an Instagram life just seems unfair to portray as my life (although I love reading those blogs!), and it seems dishonest to my voice.

Moving forward, I hope you can read my blog and relate... I am not going to put out a polished version of my life... because it isn't what is real. In fact, I love my life because it isn't perfect! That's the beauty of it.

So please bear with me, and hopefully enjoy, my wedding chronicle. I wish I had read some unpolished truths in blogs about wedding planning when I was going through it...

So I wanted to put it out there and hopefully one bride (or groom) can read about my experience and feel like they aren't alone. And they can laugh.

I was never floating on a cloud of macaroons and monograms... I had weird "un-bridal" emotions at really shitty inopportune times... and you know what... my wedding was awesome... and so is married life.

5 comments:

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Love it! Keep it real, lady! I wish there were more bloggers would do the same (particularly as it relates to kids - ie: sometimes I really want to put my kids on the curb with a free sign, even though I really love them feelings). I think being honest will definitely help others!

Leslie said...

Speaking from the heart is what people enjoy :) Well said!

lesie

Prippy Handbook said...

It definitely feels like a risk to let your heart do the talkin'... but I know it is worth it.

Thanks for the sweet words of support.

KSB said...

Have loved your blog so far and I know I will continue to! Looking forward to what you continue to share with us!

Prippy Handbook said...

Thanks for the support and long-time readership, KSB!