Monday, April 30, 2012

Our Wedding... Shoes



I thought I would start sharing my wedding with you by talking about the basics... shoes. Seems like an easy place to start, right?

I decided to surprise Bryan with a pair of bespoke Stubbs & Wootton tuxedo slippers. He has an awesome fashion sense, so I knew he would totally appreciate this gift. Working with the incredibly talented artist who designed our wedding invitation suite, Happy Menocal, we modified our crest to work on the shoes. The result was fantastic!



My point of contact at Stubbs & Wootton was super helpful. Randomly, I knew him from growing up... making the process even easier. If you have a high-styling significant other, this is a great gift. Bryan has already worn these puppies again... and he loves the special memories associated with them.

When it came to my footwear, it was a bit of a different story. A few years ago, I suffered a severe sports injury (fully torn Achilles tendon) while playing squash. To say it sucked would be an understatement... but I will leave that for another post.

As a result, I can only wear slingback shoes. And with a February wedding, open-back shoes were like finding a needle in a haystack. If one more sales person at Neimans or Saks or Nordstroms or (insert shoe store here) tried to sell me crazy-ass Louboutin's, I was ready to stick the heel in their ear. The process was draining and I was afraid that I would be walking down the aisle in flip-flops.



But then, magic happened... at the place where magic always happens... T.J. Maxx. I found Vera Wang kitten heel sling backs, with embellishments, that were perfect for my dress. It was a wedding miracle! My advice to all brides out there is to shop everywhere, especially your go-to designer discount spots with loads of inventory.

I had it in my head that I needed a "shoe experience" where I was sipping champagne in a salon filled with shoes that felt like Birkenstocks but looked like sex. I was out of touch and set myself up for Neiman's Rage. But all is well that ends well and I danced the night away at 70% off!

All of my wedding photos were taken by the amazingly talented Tec Petaja.

4 comments:

Glitterista said...

Love both of your shoe picks! What a great gift for your groom. :)

Prippy Handbook said...

Doreen - You are so right! Thank you for reading... it is wonderful to be blogging again.

Glitterista - He seriously loves the slippers,so it was definitely a hit. Sometimes I think he is too easy to shop for, if that's possible!

Krissy :: Miss B and Hustle said...

VW at TJ Maxx?! SCORE!! PS: thanks for the comment! I'm learning I can't "just say no" to any trend, because I almost always end up trying it! ;) Have a good day!

Prippy Handbook said...

Krissy - I felt like the TJ Gods smiles down on me! :)